Dentists,Tongues,and Faith

School finals, a random trip and church activities have kept me away from this corner of the world a long time. How has it been going? Recently I had an experience that vividly reminded me of God's patience with us and thought I'd share!
It was 10:00 a.m. and I was in the dentist's chair receiving two fillings. Everything was going well, except for one thing - I hate having anyone in my mouth. It doesn't seem to help that I know it is a good thing to let the dentist take care of me, my tongue has a completely different idea. It twists and turns and fights and kicks, quite embarrassing actually! 
But while the dentist was leaning over my mouth, trying to keep my tongue off to one side and struggling, I began to think about how we often are just like my tongue and God so often has to do just what the dentist was doing - gently work with us.
Letting someone in your mouth takes some faith. You have to believe that they know what they are doing. When they start drilling and giving you shots, you have to choose to believe that it is for your good. Having faith in God is much the same. We have to believe that God knows what He is doing and then we have to believe that what He is doing is for our good. 
When I was thinking about this, my mind off of the fillings, the operation drew to a close and I realized that my tongue had stopped being such a nuisance.When I completely surrendered to the dentist's care and expertise, everything went smoothly!  And that too is a parallel to our walk with God. Even when we really don't like what God is doing, or can't understand what He is doing, we have to let go. Once we fully surrender, the work will be finished much quicker and more successfully. 


Comments

Popular Posts